Since my last post I've been working hard on my most ambitious project yet here at Method—it's a new digital course called FormZ Fundamentals. It will be available very soon, and I wanted to give you a behind-the-scenes look at what I've been up to.
This is a fully structured course based on how I've taught FormZ in the architecture department at California State Polytechnic University. It's not simply a tutorial, and it's not just for architects. It's over 6 hours of training for anyone who wants to learn how to use the program from the beginning—or for those who already use it—to become better at it. You'll have fun either way, and I think that's an important component of any tool you'll be using all the time.
Here are some screen grabs from the different sessions in the course:
I expect the course to launch later this month if all goes as planned. FormZ Fundamentals is going to cover a lot of ground. I'd be remiss not to mention that I'm an expert FormZ user and have been using and teaching it for more than 20 years.
If you're a regular at this site, you already know it's my tool of choice. It's my experience that it's the most well-rounded, feature-filled modeling program (especially for, but not strictly limited to architecture) that's available today. It does so much more than some popular programs (like SketchUp) and doesn't lock you into a specific set of architecture-only tools (like Revit). Nor does it intimidate (like the interface and commands in Rhino). It hits the sweet spot most programs miss.
I have no doubt it will make you much more valuable if you take an honest look at it and devote a little time to learning it. After all these years, I keep coming back to FormZ.
This course is for you if:
- you’re a SketchUp user looking to move on to a more powerful 3d modeling and rendering toolset, or a Rhino user looking for a faster, less complicated workflow.
- you’re new to 3d and want an all-in-one program.
- you want a 3d program that can play well with all the other 3d programs.
- you want parametric tools to create your designs, which makes it easier to change your designs later.
- you’re tired of endlessly searching for extensions to try (and buy!) for every little thing that isn't built into SketchUp.
- you’re looking for a one-stop solution for all of your modeling needs.
- you want tools that allow for more creative freedom to realize your design ideas.
- you want to make more precise, higher quality 3d models.
- you’re intimidated by the Rhino interface and don’t want to remember all those commands.
- you want your models to be ready for 3d printing without extra work.
- you want to be more valuable to you clients, colleagues, and firm.
I'm trying to accomplish a few things with this course:
- FormZ is a fantastic program that's fun to use. More people should learn it. Are you tired of SketchUp holding you back? Are you tired of searching in the Extensions Warehouse for plugins that may or may not work? Do you want to realize more of your fantastic designs that you are having a hard time modeling in SketchUp? Chances are that FormZ has everything you need already built in.
- Let's start with the basics. This course lays the foundation and will make sure you understand how most of the program works. It's not all-encompassing, but the program is deep. Many tools are more advanced, and I will make more courses (if there's demand, and I hope there is...) in the future. For now, this course covers most of them and ensures you're using them the correct way.
- Many people don't know what FormZ is capable of. It's my favorite modeling program for a few reasons—it's powerful, fast, easy to use, and smart. It runs circles around other architectural modeling applications. If another app has a better tool for something specific (like a visual scripting tool such as Grasshopper for Rhino), I like to think of those as plugins for FormZ. I can't model all day long in Rhino without beating my head against the table. Some things are just too hard to do in it. FormZ plays so well with others that you can take your Rhino objects directly into FormZ, modify them further, and have more fun.
Hopefully this will whet your appetite. I'm excited to to share all the details of the 6+ hour course with you very soon. I will be offering special introductory pricing to all of my newsletter subscribers so if you're not signed up, make sure to get in on the early bird discount.